We are looking for volunteers to support people who want to be more physically active as part of our Walk and Talk group based in Weymouth. The group meets once a week on a Wednesday at 10am and the walk will finish at 11am. You don’t need to be an expert in fitness, but you will need to appreciate the health benefits of being active.
We will provide full training and support. By volunteering you’ll be learning valuable peer support skills while getting all the health benefits of being active too.
The Walk and Talk group is all about removing the barriers to physical activity that those of us with mental health problems can face and to provide an opportunity for people to get outside, be active and connect with other people. As a volunteer you might find yourself working with a small group of participants or providing one-to-one support to people who want to be active, but maybe lack confidence, or just don’t know where to start.
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery
- Reporting any incidents, issues or near misses to the group leader from Dorset Mind
- Helping to safely deliver weekly walk and talk sessions, ensuring the safety and enjoyment of participants of all abilities
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached application form and monitoring form and email it to: email@example.com. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Administrator, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.