Dorset Mind has started a new project to support Ukrainian refugees based in Dorset with their mental health and adjacent needs. We need support and involvement from volunteers in the community that speak English and Ukrainian and/or Russian to help make the project a success.
A successful applicant will play an important role in shaping the nature of support and services provided to Ukrainian refugees, helping coordinate such support and interpreting at services.
The role will also involve supporting the project coordinator lead discussions within group support sessions, plan sessions, encouraging peer support and appropriately engaging with participants seeking support.
This is a new role, and it is subject to change with a successful applicant’s input.
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery.
- Assisting the facilitator in creating a caring, supportive and non-judgemental environment in which people can feel comfortable enough to share
- Interpreting into and from Ukrainian and/or Russian if participants are not English speakers
- Supporting the project lead with ideas and suggestions on how to support Ukrainians in Dorset
- Helping Dorset Mind ensure that we are providing an inclusive and culturally aware service
- Suggesting ideas for raising awareness with host families and professionals
- Listening and offering emotional support and encouragement to participants
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached Application Form and Equality Monitoring Form and email it to: email@example.com. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Team, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.