We are looking for volunteers to support and run our new beginners running group in partnership with ASICS. This programme is for people who want to be more physically active as part of our ongoing commitment to supporting people’s mental wellbeing through exercise.
We will provide you with full training including a qualification in Leadership in Running Fitness (LiRF) (unless already gained) and continued support to plan and deliver the 12 sessions.
By volunteering you’ll be learning valuable peer support skills while getting all the health benefits of being active too.
The running group is all about removing the barriers to physical activity that those of us with mental health problems can face and to provide an opportunity for people to get outside, be active and connect with other people. As a volunteer you might find yourself working with a small group of participant who want to be active, but maybe lack confidence, or just don’t know where to start.
This group will follow government guidelines to ensure the safety of participants and volunteers with regards to COVID-19.
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery
- Reporting any incidents, issues or near misses to the group leader from Dorset Mind
- Helping to safely deliver weekly group, ensuring the safety and enjoyment of participants of all abilities
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached application form and monitoring form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Administrator, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.