To provide a professional one to one counselling service (offered in blocks of 6 weeks with 50 minutes allocated to each session) for anyone between the ages of 11-25 who needs support with their emotional wellbeing.
You will help the client explore any problems they may be experiencing and help them find a way through them. You will not be advising or telling the client what to do, rather you will take a person-centred approach through listening and facilitating the client’s own personal growth and exploration.
You will be working with issues such depression, anxiety, bereavement, bullying, anger, relationships, low self-esteem, eating disorders, trauma and self-harm.
You will help your client find strategies for coping and guide them at their own pace to a greater sense of wellbeing.
- Work within the Dorset Mind team to provide a high-quality counselling service which is responsive, ethical, safe and effective for all service users.
- Work in a Humanistic Integrative way and form effective therapeutic alliances with young people whilst maintaining professional boundaries.
- Appropriately use different therapeutic tools, depending on the needs of individual clients.
- Work within and adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Continuously work towards and support the development of best practice in therapeutic
- Provide an appropriate service to clients with varying presenting issues within the relevant service levels (mild to moderate mental health issues and risk levels) by carrying out YPCORE screens at the beginning and end of the counselling process.
- Make appropriate referrals to specialist services (E.g. CAMHS/other) of clients whose needs fall outside of the mild to moderate threshold of symptoms and risks, taking into consideration Gillick Competence and Fraser Guidelines.
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the volunteer role description below.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached application form and monitoring form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Administrator, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.