To provide emotional support (up to 1 hour per week or fortnight for up to 6 months) for anyone between the ages of 11-25 who needs support with their emotional wellbeing. You will help the client explore any problems they may be experiencing and help them find a way through them.
You will not be advising or telling the client what to do, rather you will take a person-centred approach through listening and facilitating the client’s own personal growth and exploration.
You will be working with issues such depression, anxiety, bereavement, bullying, anger, relationships, low self-esteem, eating disorders, trauma and self-harm. You will help your client find strategies for coping and guide them at their own pace to a greater sense of wellbeing.
- Work within the Dorset Mind team to provide a high-quality check-in service which is responsive, ethical, safe and effective for all service users.
- Work in a friendly and sympathetic manner with young people whilst maintaining professional boundaries.
- Appropriately use different emotional support tools, depending on the needs of individual clients.
- Continuously work towards and support the development of best practice in emotional support and intervention.
- Provide an appropriate service to clients with varying presenting issues within the relevant service levels (mild to moderate mental health issues and risk levels)
- Regularly and collaboratively review goals set with the client, monitoring their progression and effectiveness to achieve the desired outcomes.
- Maintain confidential, up-to-date and accurate records of all check-in sessions, ensuring that service activity and session attendance is recorded and inputted using the appropriate systems.
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the volunteer role description below.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached application form and monitoring form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Administrator, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.