The MindOut group is a wellbeing support group for people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Plus and want to improve their wellbeing. Your role will be based at the group.
It will include welcoming and engaging with participants attending groups (particularly new members) and assisting them with completing registration forms and feedback paperwork. The role also involves supporting the group facilitator lead discussions, encouraging peer support and appropriately responding to participant concerns.
A successful applicant will play an important role in the participants’ journey from start to finish with Dorset Mind by ensuring necessary support and encouragement is available at every step. Simultaneously, a volunteer will also assist Dorset Mind in recording feedback, comments and concerns where necessary.
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery.
- Assisting the facilitator in creating a caring, supportive and non-judgemental environment in which people can feel comfortable enough to share.
- Listening and offering emotional support and encouragement in the group (note that counselling is not offered, and volunteers do not lone work or offer individual support outside the group setting)
- Welcoming regular and new attendees to sessions and introducing new attendees to existing members.
- To support participants to complete registration paperwork and any wellbeing/group feedback paperwork.
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached Application Form and Equality Monitoring Form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Team, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.