To provide a professional in person counselling service, blocks of 6-8 weeks, for anyone between the ages of 11-18 who need support with their emotional and mental wellbeing.
You will help the client explore any problems, thoughts, and feelings they may be experiencing and help them find a way through them, by facilitating the achievement of set goals. You will take a person-centred approach, incorporating other modalities as appropriate, through listening and facilitating the client’s own personal growth and exploration.
You will be working with the young person discussing topics such as, depression, anxiety, bereavement, bullying, anger, relationships, low self-esteem, eating disorders, trauma for example childhood sexual abuse or domestic violence, sexual orientation, and self-harm.
Young people will be allocated according to personal competence and training.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery
- Work within the Dorset Mind Your Head team to provide a high-quality counselling service which is responsive, ethical, safe, and effective for all young people.
- Appropriately use different therapeutic tools, depending on the needs of individual young people.
- Work within and adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached application form and monitoring form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Administrator, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.