To become part of a successful team of volunteers who support individuals who are experiencing mental health problems with a view to:
- Help to improve self-confidence and self esteem
- Identify goals, based on the 5 ways to wellbeing. Working on tools and skills to help manage and maintain positive mental health
- Reduce social isolation by supporting clients to engage and interact in groups and activities within the community. Increasing social interactions
- To promote and support mental ill health recovery
- Help reduce stigma around mental health
The aim of our Befriending service is to provide weekly telephone support initially, leading to face-to-face support moving forward.
To build a professional relationship that offers one-to-one support in the community for a minimum of 6 months to maximum of 12 months.
- Support the mission of Dorset Mind by:
- Raising awareness within general and specific communities about mental ill health. That is to say educating people about symptoms – what they are, what to expect and how to spot them. We also help people about what they can do when they experience symptoms or know someone who does.
- Challenging the stigma and inequality of mental ill health so that neither stigma nor inequality prevent people receiving information and support they need.
- Promoting the ethos of recovery from mental ill health by educating people about recovery.
- To engage with the participants in line with the agreed commitment. This begins with 30 minutes per week, then moves to 1-hour weekly face to face, then finally 2 hours per fortnight face to face to extend the activities you can do together.
- To agree with the client a range of beneficial activities to reduce social isolation
- To encourage participation, including making choices, by the participant to increase their levels of empowerment within the 5 ways to wellbeing framework.
For the full list of responsibilities, please read the role description below.
How to apply:
If you are interested in this role and think you have what it takes, please complete the attached Application Form and Equality Monitoring Form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternately, please post this to: Volunteer Team, Dorset Mind, 8 Stratfield Saye, 20-22 Wellington Road, Bournemouth. BH8 8JN.