Keep it Safe & Legal
Dorset Mind cannot accept liability for an event organised on our behalf.
- You must get relevant permission and licences for collecting:
On public land – contact your local council for a license.
On private property – seek permission from the owner.
- Licences may also apply to raffles, lotteries, sweepstakes, sale of alcohol, entertainment and putting up signs/banners – Contact your local council to seek guidance.
- Complete health and safety checks along with a risk assessment is essential, find out more here.
- An event management plan may also be necessary for larger events.
- If your event involves the public you will need to have public liability insurance. It’s always a good idea to check with the venue what their insurance covers. You can compare prices for insurance online.
- If you are collecting cash in Dorset Mind collection tins, please return these sealed (as per the Charity Commission Guidelines) to our head office to be opened and counted securely.
- We advise you pay us your cash donations via bank transfer. If you cannot do this, you are welcome to drop in to us in the office, please pre arrange a time to ensure the cash arrives safely and is secured in the safe immediately. See our ‘How to pay in your donations’ page for details.
- You may also need to consider first aid for your event, you can find more information on this here.
- Food standards and safety information can be found here.